Transportation Department Mission Statement:
"We strive to be the most unique and innovative public school transportation department in Louisiana through our relentless pursuit to exceed standards of safety, efficiency and customer service. We aim to be progressive in our relationships with current and potential partner districts in order to develop and sustain partnerships that exemplify cost effectiveness and provide proactive service."
Mr. Brent Whiddon is the district's Transportation Supervisor. The district currently employs 72 full-time bus drivers and maintains a substitute driver list.
Riding on the Avoyelles Parish School buses is a privilege, not a right. Please talk with your student about their behavior on the bus to ensure that they understand the importance of good behavior and its impact on bus safety.
Keeping your children safe is our utmost priority. Working with you, we can continue to keep your children safe as they travel to and from school each day. Below are some helpful reminders to keep in mind as you prepare your child for riding the bus:
- Talk with your child about their behavior while riding the bus. Explain that once on the bus, they should find a seat and sit down immediately.
- Explain that it is important to talk quietly and not be disruptive. Sudden yelling or movements can startle the bus driver and could cause an accident.
- If your child has a conflict with another child on the bus, tell them to wait until the bus has come to its destination and then report it to the bus driver. Also have your child report the incident to his or her teacher as well.
- While your child is waiting for the bus, stress that he or she should never push or shove other children. Doing so could result in a child falling into the path of the oncoming bus.
- Also, a child should never cross the street directly in front of the bus. He or she should always cross beside the bus, or walk to an approved crosswalk or street light to cross safely.
- Review the lights and symbols on the bus so that you and your child understand that a red flashing light or stop sign means that cars need to stop at least 15 feet away both in front and behind the bus. Knowing the tips for safety can mean a safe ride for all of the children and adults involved in a bus route.